LATEST WINE DEALS POSTED 3/5/18Crazy good deals! Close outs! Incredible savings!
1) Ramey Chardonnay Woolsey Road Vineyard 2014, Russian River Valley: $62 WE 92 pts. Rich and concentrated, this vineyard-designate is in its third year of bottling, the site farmed by the Martinelli family for this producer. Crisp green apple, salty brine and integrated oak all play a part in its delicious attraction, remaining vibrant through the lengthy, spicy finish.
2) Francis Ford Coppola Sofia Red Wine 2014, Paso Robles: $14.29 Silky in texture yet vibrant on the palate, the 2014 Sofia Red boasts a zesty fragrance of cherries, tangerine, and tea leaves followed by juicy flavors of plums, allspice, and a hint of creme brulee. Pairs perfectly with pork tenderloin, roasted game hen, and white bean hummus. Sofia enjoys it with chocolate. 62% Grenache, 37% Syrah, 1% Mourvèdre.
3) Aloft Cabernet Sauvignon 2013, Howell Mountain, Cold Springs Vineyard: $174.99 The 2013 Aloft is a superior example of the family’s continued commitment to protecting and preserving the land. Arguably the best vintage Napa Valley has seen in decades, the 2013 Aloft holds true to vintage expectations. The aromatics and palate parallel each other with an intensity of ripe blueberry, blackberry, black currant and black cherry. The wine shows further complexity with diverse flavors of dark chocolate, clove, black pepper, leather, tobacco and cigar. Although youthful, the 2013 portrays a tasteful balance between ripe fruit, bright acidity, and tannins. Cellar this wine for a few years and the lush tannins will continue to soften adding an additional dimension to this mountain Cabernet.
4) QTR Cabernet Sauvignon 2014: $124.99 The 2014 QTR Cabernet Sauvignon was crafted by Thomas River Brown from the 6-acre, sustainably farmed estate in the lower elevations of Howell Mountain. The hillside intensity combined with a second year of drought contributed to explosive flavors of black and red berries, white pepper, cocoa powder and a sweet spice. The rich berry flavors on the palate are complimented with hints of fresh tobacco leaf and black tea. Finessed floral notes of dried rose petals and violet are prominent on both the nose and palate. The 2014 vintage continues to offer well-integrated tannins, bright acidity, and a long, lush finish. 160 cases.
5) Robert Mondavi Merlot 2014: $18.99 Great price! WE 90 pts. This wine offers a wealth of big flavor and plush structure within a context of savory oak and firm tannin. Black olive and licorice highlight a nicely composed framework of plum and dark cherry, dotted with fresh tobacco.
6) Beringer Quantum 2013, Napa: $49 Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate 90 pts. Another proprietary red, the 2013 Proprietary Red Quantum is a blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, and the rest Cabernet Franc, Petite Sirah and Malbec aged 20 months in 50% new French oak. This wine offers up notes of blueberry and blackcurrant fruit, coffee bean, licorice and spice box. It is medium to full-bodied, exhibits outstanding ripeness, purity and depth. Drink now-2028.
7) Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon 2013, Napa: $46 Heady and exotic dark fruit notes of blackberry compote, ripe black cherries and Mission figs complemented by scents of violets, graphite, wild thyme and a touch of sweet cedar. This opulent Cabernet Sauvignon deftly balances fleshy mineral-tinged fruit, ripe tannins and a rich, full mouthfeel with a prominent mid-palate lift and a lengthy, refined finish.
8) Aloers Celler Credo White 2013, Penedes: $15 The white wine Aloers is made exclusively with grapes from vineyards owned by Celler Credo in the county of Alt Penedès (Barcelona). All of the vineyards have been cultivated in accordance with the principles of organic, biodynamic agriculture. Aloers offers the freshest, most genuine expression of the Mediterranean Xarel·lo grown on calcareous soils. Celler Credo’s team wants to ensure a wine of great vivacity that can have a long life in the bottle. This wine may display completely natural sediments.
9) Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay 2013, Carneros, Napa Valley: $64.79 95 points Vinous “The 2013 Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard is one of the richest, most powerful Chardonnays in the range. Here it is the wine’s phenolic and sense of vertical structure that stand out most. Even with all of its obvious richness and heft, the Hyde preserves remarkable freshness. Dried herbs, orange peel and buttery notes add nuance on the large-scaled, ample finish. It’s hard to know where to begin with these wines from David Ramey, as there are so many highlights, but one common theme is the quality of the entry-level wines. The appellation-level Chardonnays, Pinot, Syrah and Claret all deliver serious quality for the money. As always, the Chardonnays are made in a rich, Burgundian-leaning style that emphasizes relatively long aging in barrel by California standards. (AG)